Friday, August 7, 2009

Copyright Infringements

Did you ever wonder if you would have to worry about people stealing your images? It can happen and most likely you will be really lucky if you can recover any money that should be yours. Here's what happened to me.

A couple of years ago I shot some photos of some fiddle players during a fantastic sunset. I silhouetted the players against the red sky and they loved it. I sold several images to them and was contacted by others who wanted to buy more. The local music association asked if they could use some of the images to promote their website. Of course I agreed to their use so long as it was a one time use and that I received photo credits on the website. Earlier this spring I was surfing the web looking for photography ideas and was surprised to find one those photos advertising a local art association website. They were even offering the image for sale! I was just a little hot over this. I called their phone number and left messages and sent emails until I finally got the image removed. Of course no money was ever made from their use of the image!

A little later I was asked to do a photo shoot for the local search and rescue dog team. I captured some great images and the SAR team was really happy. During one event with them there was another photographer from a local paper along. He was doing a story about the team and was also doing his own photography. I was asked to provide a few of my shots as well which I happily did. The SAR team is a great organization and I want to support them all I can. I did require that the use be one time only and of course I required photo credit in the paper with my name under the images. I even wrote my name on the back of the prints I provided along with the specific use requirements. Guess who's name appeared under the photos! It wasn't mine! I raised hell again but still the damage had been done. Well that was a couple of years ago.

Most recently there have been a couple of instances in which the SAR team has been called out and have performed their jobs beautifully. Guess which image has been popping up again with the articles in the paper and no, I have not been given credit for that image.

This last instance was a classic, the newspaper also has a website. The picture they have been using was a full size image on their front page and not only that they were offering it for sale in their stock photography site.

Here's the thing, that image is a really really popular photo with them. The continue to use it over and over without permission. But as soon as I tell them I own it and that they need to reimburse me for it's use, they backwater like mad. They've finally removed it from the stock photography site, and promised to contact me should they ever wish to use it again. Fat chance! Yes! I would be more than happy for them to use it, so long as my name is with it but after all the trouble it has caused I'll be surprised if I ever hear from them again.

Sooner or later I'm sure I'll be looking for an attorney who knows the law regarding copyright infringement. Until then I keep an eye out on my own.

In the meantime, if you do like me and allow a newspaper to use your images, be sure to track what they do with it. Once they get their hands on it they think they own it. They have their own publishing company and they will even print your images on calendars, or whatever. You can check this out yourself. Do a google search for any newspaper you like and open their home page. then look at their photo galleries and go from there. You'll see what I'm talking about.

I hope you find this article usefull. Be sure to visit my website at http://dwainspix.com to check out my photography and products at Zazzle.

If you are and RV'r or wish to become one you might be interested in our other two blogs. Check them out at D and D's RV Tips and at Dwain and Debbies Road Notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photography Tips

Here are a few things you can do to improve your photography that will apply regardless of what camera you use. These are the basics that every photographer should know and do to get reasonably good pictures out of any camera.

Make sure you have a clean lens. Don't just blow the dust off, but use a clean cloth suitable for cleaning lenses and do it right.

Set up so your camera is stable and won't move as you press the shutter. You can do this a number of ways. If you will be handholding the camera, hold your elbows in against your sides, and stand with your feet apart with one slightly forward of the other. You can also lean against a solid object like a light pole, tree, building or whatever. The best method though is to use a tripod or monopod. I have both but I like to carry the tripod best. If I want to use it as a monopod I just extend only one leg and us it as I would a monopod. I'll add instructions about to how to use these tools later.

Finally the "First" basic thing you need to do is read your manual and learn what all the parts of your camera are for and how to use them. If you understand how your meter works and what white balence is you'll go a long way to getting that shot you want when the light is wierd and you are wondering why your pictures are all dark or yellow instead of like what you saw on the monitor or in the viewfinder.

I'll expand on all these topics in the coming weeks and months so you'll want to check back and see what I've added from time to time.