Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How To Use Your Camera - "P" or Programmed Mode

A large number of your camera's will have a "P" posted on the Mode Dial. This is a really cool setting and is one that you will really want to know how to use as you learn how to use your camera.
When you select this setting, your camera is basically on full automatic everything. But you have the option of changing the automatic selections your camera chooses if you want to. Lets say you are shooting a nice water fall while the camera is in P mode and because it is a very bright day all your shots are freezing the action and you really want that silky effect. You can get this by adjusting the shutter to a slower speed. (this is usually the default adjustment) In program mode the camera will automatically change the other settings so that you maintain the correct exposure all the time. Because changing the shutter speed also causes the aperture to change, you can adjust the shutter to get the aperture you want as well and have control over depth of field.
I normally use the P setting when I am shooting unpredictable subjects and I think will need to react very quickly. These subjects can be kids at a baseball game, flying birds or running wildlife, or any moving subject such as ocean waves, water falls, and so on. I keep my camera on continuous auto focus and use a setting that lets the shutter continue to work as long as I hold the button down. Then all I need to worry about is zooming in or out to get the shot I want. Yet I still have the option of adjusting the settings if I think I need to and I don't have to take the camera from my eye to look for another option.
If you liked this article or if you would like to see information about another subject regarding how to use your camera please send me your comments.

Another great resource for information about learning how to use your camera is my online store at "How To Use Your Camera"
To see my photos go to my website at: Dwains's Picks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photography Tips

Here are a few things you can do to improve your photography that will apply regardless of what camera you use. These are the basics that every photographer should know and do to get reasonably good pictures out of any camera.

Make sure you have a clean lens. Don't just blow the dust off, but use a clean cloth suitable for cleaning lenses and do it right.

Set up so your camera is stable and won't move as you press the shutter. You can do this a number of ways. If you will be handholding the camera, hold your elbows in against your sides, and stand with your feet apart with one slightly forward of the other. You can also lean against a solid object like a light pole, tree, building or whatever. The best method though is to use a tripod or monopod. I have both but I like to carry the tripod best. If I want to use it as a monopod I just extend only one leg and us it as I would a monopod. I'll add instructions about to how to use these tools later.

Finally the "First" basic thing you need to do is read your manual and learn what all the parts of your camera are for and how to use them. If you understand how your meter works and what white balence is you'll go a long way to getting that shot you want when the light is wierd and you are wondering why your pictures are all dark or yellow instead of like what you saw on the monitor or in the viewfinder.

I'll expand on all these topics in the coming weeks and months so you'll want to check back and see what I've added from time to time.